23 February 2013

A Toast to Greek Life

I  never planned to join a sorority. Besides thinking that  the hoodies with the stitched letters looked really cool, nothing else about it ever appealed to me. I haven't ever been a big partier or drinker, and I wasn't really the kind of girl who had a lot of girl friends. Sorority life was the LAST thing I thought I'd ever be a part of.

blogruary

As it turned out, Greek life had other plans for me.

363_94099825006_2462_n
FALL 2008
Keeping this bit brief, I was unhappy my first year of college. I was homesick and lonely, and was feeling down about not having the love and Golden Ram Spirit I was seeing around me. I went so far as to begin applying to other schools closer to home before one of the few friends I actually had made asked me to just "come meet her friends."

"Now Jess," I began. "You know I'm planning to not come next year." I saw through this trick. She was trying to recruit me.
"I know, no commitment. Just come out and meet them." She was happy and had friends. I was envious of that. I went.

I remember that night as being one of the first times I was really happy in West Chester. These were my people.

401398_10152126108600007_1967996522_n

FALL 2012
Nowhere in that room were the stereotypical mean girls from movies. I didn't see one single woman that I couldn't connect with in some way. I immediately knew that if these women would have me in their bond, I wouldn't be leaving West Chester. It was, as they say, love at first sight.

I spent the next three years as a proud sister of a chapter that certainly had some failings. We had low numbers, and occasionally some poor attitudes, but despite any other problems we ever came across, sisterhood was never a problem. We always truly loved each other- and I still love my sisters.

I had the honor of serving as the Membership Director- planning recruitment- and also as the Vice President. I was blessed with two amazing littles who have in turn given me a remarkable lineage of little-littles, littles to the third, and even to the fourth. I have memories of formals and date parties, of Greek weeks and homecomings, and so, so much fun with such an amazing group of women.
650_145802635006_5175801_n

My two fantastic littles
And now, two years after becoming an alumnae of a group I love so strongly, I am still finding myself so proud of them. When I pledged Phi Mu, my chapter was sitting at about 25 women- a huge jump from the EIGHT only three years prior. During my tenure, we fluctuated between 18-30, never quite managing to reach the number goals set. While we were successful in other ways, this was out downfall.

62015_10150271904030007_7938361_n525699_548460885186272_2099367095_n

FALL 2010 Bid Day versus SPRING 2013 Bid Day

As of the most recent bid day this past weekend, my wonderful, yet tiny chapter is now 85 women strong. I am still in a state of awe, after seeing a group shot. More women than I ever thought I would see wearing my letters, at my school.

I will forever bleed rose and white, living by my oath of love, honor& truth, and thanking my founders for what they have given me.

Congratulations, Phi Lambda!






[23/28]

1 comment: