19 April 2013

[Review] A Mango Shaped Space; Wendy Mass

A Mango-Shaped Space
Release Date: October 19, 2005
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Format: ebook

Summary from Goodreads:
Mia Winchell appears to be a typical kid, but she's keeping a big secret—sounds, numbers, and words have color for her. No one knows, and Mia wants to keep it that way. But when trouble at school finally forces Mia to reveal her secret, she must learn to accept herself and embrace her ability, called synesthesia, a mingling of the senses.

What I thought: I LOVED THIS BOOK. This is definitely one of the best books I’ve read so far this year. I’m so interested in the phenomenon of synesthesia, and when I saw that this book was about a girl with synesthesia, I knew I had to read it.
I really liked this book because it wasn’t necessarily about the ability, but just a girl who was trying to get through her life, and the struggles that she had. I also really felt like the story was authentic, because it showed the family not getting it, her struggle with her siblings and explaining her situation to her friends. I want to read more about Mia, even though she made me immensely jealous about not being able to see her beautiful descriptions of colors associated with words and letters.
I finished this and just wished there was more of it.
One last thing about this book, is that Mia is actually a YOUNG adult. I think she’s like 13 or 14? She’s quite young, which makes a difference in the way the story goes, and they way it is told.

Read this if
: you are interested in synesthesia, if you like a general good “getting through life” story, or if you’re looking for a fulfilling, quick read.

Out of 5
: 5/5
This is book 28/120 for 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment