10 April 2013

[Review] American Gods; Neil Gaiman

American Gods
Release Date: May 2002
Publisher: Harper Torch
Format: ebook

Summary from Goodreads:
Days before his release from prison, Shadows wife, Laura, dies in a mysterious car crash. Numbly, he makes his way back home. On the plane, he encounters the enigmatic Mr Wednesday, who claims to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America.
 
Together they embark on a profoundly strange journey across the heart of the USA, whilst all around them a storm or preternatural and epic proportions threatens to break.
 
Scary, gripping and deeply unsettling, AMERICAN GODS takes a long, hard look into the soul of America. Youll be surprised by what and who it finds there...

What I thought: I was recommended this book by someone who I find to be very interesting, and he said that it’s his favorite and most recommended book. I was pretty excited to read it because of both the recommender and also because, hello, Neil Gaiman. I really loved this book at the beginning, liked it a bunch in the middle, and towards he end was a little less sure.

I found Shadow to be very compelling and interesting, and I liked how the story was broken up with snipits of other stories. I liked a lot of the characters who were introduced, and the “a-ha!” moments I realized who characters were supposed to be. I think the problem I had was that the story started out somewhat realistic and believable, and the more it went on, the weirder and harder to follow it got?

Overall I did like this book, but I think it’ll take a second read through to get the full story.
Read this if: you like strange stories, if you like mythology/God stories, if you have an impressive attention span.

Out of 5
: 3.5/5
This is book 25/120 for 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment