29 January 2014

[Review] Hollow City; Ransom Riggs

Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, # 2)

Release Date: January 14, 2014
Publisher: Quirk Books
Format: Hardcover

Summary from Goodreads:
The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London the peculiar capital of the world. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reacting experience.

What I Thought: I was so excited when this book came out, and I was NOT disappointed by it. I read Miss Peregrine as soon as it was published in 2011, and adored it. The wait for this sequel was painful- but so worth it.

The best part about Hollow City was how it was equal parts compelling love story and just creepy enough to make me jumpy. The found pictures helped to tell the bizarre story, and we got even more history and background of how peculiars are and live.

I had a hard time putting this book down. The story is enthralling from beginning to end, picking up exactly where Peregrine left off and ending with a huge twist. I loved this book from beginning to end, which doesn't often happen for me. This was my first 5 star book of the year.

The worst part about this novel was the cliffhanger ending- now we get to wait until who-knows-when for the third part of the trilogy.

Read this if: you like a little creepy in your romance, you're interested in a different kind of world, or you want to see some awesomely bizarre pictures. 

Out of 5☆: 5/5

This book was 9/100 for 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment