19 January 2014

[Review] Slaughterhouse Five; Kurt Vonnegut

Slaughterhouse-Five

Release Date: 1969
Publisher:Delacorte
Format: Trade Paperback

Summary from Goodreads:
Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden.

What I Thought: This wasn't my first time reading Slaughterhouse- in fact, I taught this book when I was student teaching, so I've read it a lot, and in depth, but I saw that it was one of the books for Crash Course Literature, so I decided to reread it to prepare for that.

I think I may have read this book too many times to really thoroughly enjoy it, if that's a thing. I do like it though. On this read through I found myself skimming the war bits and paying more attention to the Tralfamadore parts, which I much prefer. However if you like realistic war stories, this is definitely a good one.

I like this book because I like sci-fi and time travel and aliens, but I don't love the war parts of it- so it's kind of a middle of the road book for me.

Read this if: you like sci-fi and aliens and time travel and war. 

Out of 5☆: 3/5

This book was 4/100 for 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment