14 January 2013

[Review] Who Could That Be at This Hour; Lemony Snicke



Release Date: October 24, 2012
Publisher: Little Brown
Format: eboook

Summary from Goodreads:
In a fading town, far from anyone he knew or trusted, a young Lemony Snicket began his apprenticeship in an organization nobody knows about. He started by asking questions that shouldn't have been on his mind. Now he has written an account that should not be published, in four volumes that shouldn't be read. This is the first volume.

What I thought:
So, it took me about 20 pages to realize that this book was way too similar to A Series of Unfortunate Events to be a coincidence. Like, clearly it’s the same author, but a lot of the little quirky things about ASoUE are also in this book (series?) For example, having a character use a big word, and then define it was the one that stood out to me, and the thing that made me go back to Goodreads to read the summary again. Reviews told me that this is something of a prequel to the ASoUE books, so that’s cool.

I’m a huge Lemony Snicket/Daniel Handler fan. Everything he’s ever written, under either name has been amazing, and this was no different. I’m such a fan of his quirky writing style, and his method of story telling, and just how he uses words in general. This book instantly transplanted me back to late middle/early high school when his books were being published regularly, and it was total happy place making for me.

I’m so so excited that there’s going to be three more of these!

Read this if: you like unusual story telling styles, if you like mysteries directed towards younger YA and if you were/are a fan of A Series of Unfortunate Events (and let’s be real, who isn’t?

Out of 5: 4/5

This is book 3/120 for 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment