25 January 2013

Lucky Charms Cupcakes [Recipe & Pictures]

The other day, while grocery shopping, I bought some Lucky Charms on a whim. I guess I forgot that I never can eat super sugary cereal in the morning, or something, so it sat in my cabinet for about a week (minus the bit Chloe ate. Seventeen year olds.) until today when we decided we wanted to make cupcakes.
 
After searching for recipes, all I could find was “make a boxed cupcake mix, top with Lucky Charms.” Um, no. I want cereal in my batter. Also, I want to MAKE CUPCAKES, not stir and bake.
IMG_1231
For a complete recipe and some pictures, keep on reading:

1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flower
1 cup crushed Lucky Charm pieces (cereal only!)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup cold milk
IMG_1206
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Bake Time: 18-24 minutes.
Yield: 12 cupcakes.
+Separate out marshmallow bits from the Lucky Charm cereal, set marshmallows aside, and crush up cereal pieces.

IMG_1209IMG_1212IMG_1215
+Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
+In a separate bowl, stir together all dry ingredients. Add to butter mixture; stir in milk.
+Pour batter into cupcake liners, then sprinkle a few marshmallows into each, reserving most of them for topping later.
 IMG_1223
IMG_1218           IMG_1220
These are the textures you’re looking for- the cereal should be crumbly, but not complete powder either. Don’t worry about a food processor, just use a ziplock bag and a rolling pin. The batter will be chunky. It’s okay.

Let them completely cool after baking, and then ice them. We just used the store bought kind. Then, top them with the remaining marshmallows. I don’t know if it was just our box, but we had SO MANY MOONS. Most of the shapes I remember were missing, but man, we had some MOONS.
IMG_1232

IMG_1233
And that’s it! They’re not super sweet, but the icing/marshmallows make up for it, for sure. If you make these, please let me know how they turned out :)

PS: Check out the Aloha Blog Hop!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm now following you.

    Go Fly guys!

    Phylicia
    http://heartsncraftsboutique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look yummy. Found you through the Aloha blog hop. http://georgielee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! I'm now following (via blog hop) and hope you'll visit and follow back :)
    Susan
    www.mustlovejunk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are cute and look yummy - I like less sweet! Now following, would love to have you stop by www.decoratevintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a wonderful blog!! I'm your newest GFC follower from the “Aloha Friday” blog hop - this is my blog if you wanted to follow back: godsgrowinggarden.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog! Following from Aloha Friday, hope you follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cupcakes look delicious....
    I am your newest follower via Aloha Friday,
    Glad if you visit mine...
    http://foodssrilanka.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! These look scrumptious - I always did enjoy Lucky Charms :)

    Found you through the Aloha Friday blog hop. I am now following you and I look forward to visiting again.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    theenchantingrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. @must love junk Checked out your blog, I'm following you back! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Marium They were quite good! You should try them out :D I'm following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Angie Ouellette-Tower Thank you so much! I'm still trying to get my footing, so that's nice to hear. I'm following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Amy Hi! I'm following you back now! (And they were very delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Stephanie Best Cereal Ever! I'm following you back now!

    ReplyDelete