09 September 2013

How to Make a DIY Memo Board

clip_image002
Hey guys! This week I’m going to show you a quick & easy DIY that will help you dress up your room or dorm & also keep you organized with all of this back to school newness going on. Like I mentioned in a video you may have seen if you’re subscribed to my channel, organization is the most important part of getting back to school, and this is another way to do that.

I love these memo boards because you can stick anything on them; they can be decorative, or useful or a mixture of both depending on what you put on them. Plus, you can change it out easily, so you don’t have to commit to anything long term.
 
clip_image004You’re going to need a piece of cardboard cut to the size that you want your finished project to be. I cut a piece out of a box that I got in the mail recently. You’ll also need the fabric you want to use, some fleece or batting, ribbon, buttons and a hot glue gun & glue sticks.



clip_image006

The first thing that you’ll need to do is lay the cardboard on the fleece and wrap the sides up. Glue them down using the hot glue gun. Make sure that you’re pulling tightly so that the fabric in the front isn’t loose or sagging.

You’ll want to work quickly and in small bits, putting down glue and then putting down fabric. Hot glue dries really quickly & is also REALLY HOT, so please be careful.


clip_image008Once that’s done, you’re going to do the exact same thing with the fabric. I highly recommend using a fun or funky fabric in this project, because then it can be a conversation piece, or show off your personal style. For my craft room memo board, I picked a fabric with crafty pieces all over it.



clip_image010
Again, when you’re doing this you want to be sure you keep the fabric pulled tight! To get the corners to lay flat, after you’ve done all the sides, open the corners up and flatten them open before gluing them down.




You now have a fabric covered piece of cardboard. Good job. Time to make this usable.
clip_image012

clip_image014I did this by measuring out all of the ribbons before gluing any of them down. I used four in each direction but you can do more or less than that. It really depends on the size of your finished board.





clip_image016
You could flip this all over and glue them down, attempting to keep them all straight, or you can hot glue buttons over every time ribbon crosses. Not only will this make gluing the ribbons easier, but it will also hold all of your memos and things in place when you’re using it. You could substitute other things for buttons, or even just glue the crosses down, but I think the buttons add a nice touch.


Then, go ahead and glue the ends of the ribbons down to the back side. Also, glue ribbon to the back so you can hang this up.

Once that’s finished, you can fill it up with all of your goodies & memorabilia.
clip_image018

You can see how I did mine with a bit more detail right here, and if you make one of these, you should let me see it! Tag me on twitter or instagram @techni_moments.







PS: I also posted a review of the nineteen books I read in August, which you can also check out if you're interested!





















No comments:

Post a Comment