25 November 2013

Whee Make It 3D Printer Rental

Hey guys! Yes, it’s been a while. I know. I’m sorry. Let’s move on.

Last week, I was offered a really awesome opportunity from Whee Make It, a company that is currently getting ready to start renting out 3D printers to those of us who love them and want them but can’t quite afford to own one. They asked if I was interested in helping to test out the rental process in exchange for a free (+security deposit) rental, and of course of course I was.

SO, last Saturday, I went to the Whee Make It office in Virginia Beach and picked up a Solidoodle 3 3D printer. I had this idea in my head that I would just download a whole bunch of awesome things from thingiverse, set it to print & finish off the week with a ton of really awesome stuff, and that… sort of happened. As it turns out, 3D printing is a skill that takes some practice, some trial and error and a LOT of patience.

IMG_4194But, after a few false starts (which you can see in the video here) I finally printed some really cool stuff.
IMG_4195You can, again, see almost everything I printed in that video, but two of my favorites are here, a Deathly Hallows pendant that spins in the center, and a chubby little ampersand to sit on my bookshelf.


IMG_4196I also printed a couple of 8 bit heart keychains, and I’m giving away two of them over on my youtube channel. If you’re interested, just head over & subscribe, and then leave me a comment telling me what you would print if you could print absolutely anything. Anyone can enter regardless of location, but please be over 18 or have parents permission so that you can give me your address to mail to you!

Whee Make It will be opening up both printer rentals & 3D printing classes after the new year, so check out their website & also you can visit their facebook page for updates as well. I will definitely be renting from them again in the future in addition to taking a class or two, so maybe I’ll see you there!

stay crafty!


No comments:

Post a Comment