07 October 2013

[Review] Attachments; Rainbow Rowell


Attachments 
Release Date: April 14, 2011
Publisher: Dutton Adult
Format: Paperback


Summary from Goodreads:
"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke. When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself. What would he say . . . ?

What I thought: In all honesty, I only picked up this book because of how much I loved Rainbow Rowell’s other books. The only problem with that is that this book very much feels like a first novel- a solidly good writer who is just finding the footing to be an amazing writer. Despite that though, I liked it.

As always, Rainbow’s characterization is fantastic. She writes fantastic, dimensional characters with real problems and flaws, and I love that about her writing. Both of the perspectives that this book is told from are great, and I love this style of story telling. (multiple perspectives, using methods other than plain narration.)

Also, keep in mind that this is an adult novel, not YA. The problems in this book are adult problems. There aren’t boyfriends and classes here- more like husbands and pregnancy- but I very much liked it. Despite the fact that I loved Fangirl more than I loved Attachments, Attachments much better fits with where I am in my life right now & had issues that are more relevant to me presently. So, that was a nice change from my usual barrage of YA.

Read this if: you are looking for a slow shift from YA, if you’re into multiple perspective stories, if you liked either E&P or Fangirl, or if you liked Meg Cabot’s Girl Meets Boy series. 

Out of 5
: 4/5
This book was 94/120 for 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment