08 February 2018

[Review] You Know Me Well - Nina LaCour & David Levithan



Release Date:  June 7, 2016
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Format: Hardcover
Goodreads Amazon

Summary from Goodreads:
Who knows you well? Your best friend? Your boyfriend or girlfriend? A stranger you meet on a crazy night? No one, really?

Mark and Kate have sat next to each other for an entire year, but have never spoken. For whatever reason, their paths outside of class have never crossed.

That is, until Kate spots Mark miles away from home, out in the city for a wild, unexpected night. Kate is lost, having just run away from a chance to finally meet the girl she has been in love with from afar. Mark, meanwhile, is in love with his best friend Ryan, who may or may not feel the same way.

When Kate and Mark meet up, little do they know how important they will become to each other—and how, in a very short time, they will know each other better than any of the people who are supposed to know them more.

Told in alternating points of view by Nina LaCour and David Levithan, You Know Me Well is a story about navigating the joys and heartaches of first love, one truth at a time.

What I Thought: I honestly have no idea how I missed a new David Levithan collaboration for well over a year, but as soon as I spotted it on the library shelf, I grabbed it immediately. As longtime readers of my life probably remember, David Levithan is my absolute, all time, 100% favorite author and -- SURPRISE -- he did not let me down.

The book takes place over one week and it's the last week of senior year for Mark & Kate and both Nina and David really manage to capture that feeling of everything ending and everything beginning at the same time. As always, the characters feel real and flawed and like people I've known and loved.

This story has love and heartbreak and dramatic teenagers and family drama and just- really everything a good YA book should have. It's also a fantastic LGBT story, featuring LGBT youth of all flavors and walks of life. But the great thing about the way the story is written is it's primarily a story about people who happen to be gay, not a BIG GAY BOOK, which I always appreciate. Stories like this normalize, as opposed to differentiate, and that's a very good thing.

All in all, the most I can say is I genuinely loved this book. It gave me the same good ol' David Levithan Book Feeling & also introduced me to Nina LaCour, who I can't wait to read more from.

Read this if: you're a person.

Out of 5☆: 5/5

This book was 2/20 in 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment