29 January 2018

How to Make Doll Diapers | DIY | Sewing

Hey guys! I know this is my second diaper themed project in a row, but I couldn't pass this project up! CJ has started mimicking EVERYTHING we do with Baby E. When we feed the baby, CJ feeds her babies. When we change a diaper, she has to change one too. She was playing with some newborn sized disposables, but the other day she asked me for "pretty diapers" for her doll, so I had to make them. It ended up being WAY easier than I anticipated, but you do need basic sewing skills for this project.


 I based the original pattern off of a newborn sized disposable diaper. I traced it on to a piece of construction paper and folded it in half to get a symmetrical pattern. Then, I wrapped it around her favorite doll and trimmed it down slowly until it looked like it just about would fit. Don't forget to leave a little bit of room for seam allowances when you do this, but in general just make sure it looks like it'll fit. In hindsight, I wish the back of the diaper (the tab end) came up a little bit higher, because if it were a real diaper, there'd be a little bit of plumber's crack showing. For a doll though, it's fine.

You need two fabrics- the outer, decorative fabric which can realistically be any fabric at all, but I used a printed cotton. If you make your own cloth diapers, you can always use this as a scrap buster and make your kid & doll matching diapers! You also need an inner fabric, again you can scrap bust here, but I used a thin baby towel that we never use on the girls because of how thin it is. I was able to cut six diapers from one baby towel. Cut them out, and pin them right sides together, then sew leaving a gap to turn at the top center.

After it's sewn, turn it right side in, using a pen or a chopstick to poke out all of the corners. Topstitch around the entire diaper, closing up the gap you left to turn. Now personally, I hate topstitching and I never used to do it, but I've seen the error of my ways: thinks look so much nicer and more professional when they're topstitched, so I do it. The extra couple of minutes is worth it in the end for a nicely finished product.

Try to keep the inner fabric on the underside so you can't see it from the outside, but again, this diaper isn't technically a functional diaper, so if it's not perfect, it's okay. 


Finally, add the Velcro. You can use snaps here, but Velcro is cheaper, easier and makes the diaper fit a wider range of dolls. I put an inch strip on each side tab, and a two inch strip in the front middle. Sew it into place. (You can probably use an iron on Velcro as well, but I don't usually have the best results with that.


And that's pretty much all there is to it! The perfect little diaper for a baby doll. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here, shoot me an email at technicolormoments [at] gmail [dot] com or tweet me @jennplusn.

thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment